‹‹ continue shopping
Policies and Returns
At OMK (Oldmodelkits.com) our mission is simple. We strive to provide quality out-of-production kits for collectors worldwide while maintaining a high level of customer
To achieve this goal, we have defined the business, customer service and developed
policies and quality control processes. We believe these to be reasonable and fair. Since
2003 they have helped make Oldmodelkits.com the largest and most successful direct-sales rare kit vendor on the internet.
OMK is not a hobby shop. It is important to understand that OMK sells second-hand
(previously owned) collectible, antique and out-of-production kits. As with any second-hand sales operation, we are not customers of Revell, Hasegawa, Tamiya, etc and do not
receive any of the support that a hobby shop would receive.
At OMK, a high level of customer service is defined by:
- Responding to all emails, requests and estimates within 48 hours or less (except
on weekends or holidays). Please set your spam filter to allow emails from
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or you will not receive our
- Packing your order with USPS approved packaging materials.
- Mailing your order within the time frame printed on your on-line invoice (USA
checkout) or on your email estimate (international orders).
- Insuring that you receive the kit(s) that you ordered in the exact condition
Kit Value and OMK
Older kit values depend on five items: rarity, subject matter, box condition, assembly
status and completeness.
Rarity and subject matter are intrinsic to the model and beyond the control of OMK. A
system of grading and inspection has been developed for criteria under our control:
- Box Condition
All boxes are graded according to a defined grading scale. Please see 'About the
Kits' page for full details. Values will decrease with lower box quality.
- Assembly Status
The kit is checked for assembly. If it has been started, the work done and the quality of the work are specified in the description.
- Factory sealed kits are assumed complete. They will not be opened and
inspected as removing the seal would decrease the value of the kit.
- Internally factory bag sealed kits are assumed to be complete. They will not be opened and inspected as opening the bag would decrease the value. Some kits were issued with some parts internally sealed and some loose
(never bagged). In this case, the never sealed parts are inventoried before
the kit is placed on the website. If complete, the kit will still be described
as 'factory sealed internal bags'.
- If an opened kit is not internally sealed, it is fully inventoried against the
instructions before the kit is placed on the website. If parts are missing,
they will be noted in the description. Original glue, paint brushes, paints,
body filler, etc are never present unless specifically noted.
- If any parts or decals do not belong in that issue (e.g. the plastic is a
different color), it will be noted in the description.
- Kits will never be resealed - inside or out. Kits with suspicious external
seals will be opened and inventoried before they are listed on the website
and will be sold as opened kits.
We do trade for kits that we are seeking to stock. On trades, it is traditional for each end
to pay the respective shipping unless there is a large discrepancy.
The OMK return policy is simple and is identical to all second-hand collectibles and
All sales are final. No exchanges. If an item is not as described, please email us
immediately (within 7 days of receipt) and clearly explain the issue. OMK will either:
- Locate and ship you the missing part or
- Ask you to return the kit in the identical condition that it was received for a full OMK store credit towards any future purchase. A full credit is defined as the sum of (original purchase price) + (original shipping cost) + (return shipping cost). Return shipping is by a specified method such as USPS Parcel Post in the USA or regular Airmail international.
Example of returns that will be honored:
- You received a kit that was physically different from the one you ordered
- You ordered a factory sealed kit and received an open kit
- You ordered a kit specified as internally sealed and it was not internally sealed
- You ordered a kit specified as complete/not started and it was incomplete/started
Full database records of your order, including kit descriptions, are retained to assist in a timely store credit or replacement part(s).
Example of returns that will not be honored:
- A factory sealed kit that has been opened
- An internally sealed kit that has had an internal bag or bags opened
- The parts are off the trees or sprue. Kits are not inspected for this since motion
during shipping would remove parts from the sprue regardless.
- Decals that are curled, yellow or do not work. Due to popular demand, two
articles have been posted on OMK about how to save old decals. Please see these
articles before you use any old decals regardless of how good they appear. Exceptional damage or wear of decals will be noted in the description.
- Instructions have general age wear yellowed, edge chips or limited crease splits or writing. Exceptional damage or wear of instructions will be noted in the description.
- Minor broken parts (e.g. prop blades, etc), small short shots or other minor
manufacturing defects. Many of these kits are up to 50 years old and may have
minor flaws although complete. Major molding defects and breakage will be
noted in the description.
- Design or detail of the kit is not up to your personal standards. If you are
concerned about this, please email for details before your purchase and we will
be glad to help you. Please recall that these kits are sold as collectibles and you
are building them at your own risk. Any comments in the description made about
mold or kit quality are relative to the year that the kit was first released. NOTE:
Older kits will never match the high standards of modern, state-of-the-art
- The kit is too difficult for you to build. Again, the kits are sold as collectibles.
If you are concerned about the difficulty of any kits especially vacuform and
wooden kits which are for highly experienced modelers only do not hesitate to
email and ask for details. Vacuform and wooden kits are identified as such in the
listing and are never recommended for beginners.
- The kit was damaged in shipment by the USPS. If you selected to insure the
order and it was damaged in shipping, we will assist you in filing the claim.
Save the box and all packing material. Take photos of the damage and email us
immediately. If you do not select insurance, you are at the mercy of the Postal
Service. All orders are packed in USPS approved weight cardboard boxes, but
once it leaves our business, it is in the hands of the postal service. Please select
the additional postal insurance! It is very affordable and every claim we have
filed has been honored in full because we pack to the USPS code.
- Weeks or months later additional parts are found to be are missing. Please inspect
your kits within the 7 day inspection period.
- Failing to read a kit description, i.e. attempting to return any kit that is exactly as
- Removing parts from a complete kit, and then attempting to return the kit
as incomplete. This behavior is rare and happens is less than .02% of all
transactions, but it does happen.
© 2005 -
Lawton Paul Design